A rental property is an investment. As an owner of residential real estate, you should be able to rely on your tenants to pay their rent on time and to treat your property right. If a tenant fails to live up to their end of the bargain, you have a right to remove them (evict them) from the property. That being said, there are strict rules and regulations you must follow when doing so. Evicting a tenant from a rental property in California can be a complicated and time-consuming process. Here, our Ventura County property management professionals provide an overview of residential evictions in California and explain how a property management company can help.
Rental Property Evictions in California: An Overview
To start, it is important to emphasize your rights as a landlord in Ventura County. As described by The Judicial Branch of California, you have the right to evict a tenant who fails to pay their rent, breaks the lease, seriously damages your property, or otherwise engages in illegal activity. However, you cannot simply barge in and remove the tenant. Under California law, self-help evictions are prohibited. The only way to lawfully evict a residential tenant in Ventura County is by filing a lawsuit. More specifically, a residential property owner must do the following:
- Confirm and carefully document the grounds of eviction;
- Serve the tenant with notice of an impending eviction action;
- Wait sufficient time after serving the notice to remedy the problem;
- File eviction paperwork with the appropriate court; and
- Pursue a legal eviction in court.
How a Property Management Company Can Help Protect Your Rights and Interests
For a number of different reasons, evicting a tenant can be challenging and time-consuming—especially for busy rental property owners who have other obligations and lack experience in California court. A top rental property management company can save you time and money. At Real Property Management, we help Ventura County property owners with:
- Thorough Tenant Screening: When it comes to residential evictions, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. It is best to never have to deal with the process. Our property management team provides thorough tenant screening services to help reduce the risk of needing to evict a tenant.
- Legally Compliant Evictions: Even with the most comprehensive tenant screening, the risk of a problem cannot be completely eliminated. Our property management team has deep knowledge of California’s rental property eviction process. If eviction is necessary, we can get it done for our clients as quickly and smoothly as possible.
Schedule Your Free, Comprehensive Rental Property Assessment Today
At Real Property Management, we are here to help you get more out of your property—without all of the hassle. We offer local expertise that is backed by national support. Contact us today to get your free, no commitment rental property assessment. We provide rental property management services throughout Ventura County, including in Oxnard, Thousand Oaks, Simi Valley, San Buenaventura, Moorpark, and Camarillo.
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.